Thursday, April 5, 2007

Aromatherapy - Lavender Essential Oil

I have exams in a couple of weeks and of course when one has an exam everything seems far more interesting then studying.
Anyway this post is about aromatherapy and how fantastic it is. Essential oils work, I've tried and tested them. They work as a beauty treatment, they work therapeutically and of course they are amazing mood relaxants [not sure about the spelling here]
After doing so many damn papers I'm so tempted to start with a paragraph introducing aromatherapy and its roots, but I am going to control myself.
Need a moment here!
Okay got the urge under control but it was tough. I am rambling again so I'm going to get back to the point of the post.
Out of all of the essential oils Lavender is the easiest to use and the most versatile one. One of the few that you can apply directly to your skin without mixing it with a base oil. It is a very good sedative and has antiseptic properties.
And for all my fellow insomniacs out there, a drop on your pillow or diluted in a bath, Lavender helps to sleep.
It is excellent as a headache remedy, my mom suffers from migraines and a massage with Lavender helps her a lot. It is amazing for burns and insect bites too.
If you suffer from acne add 8 drops of lavender to 20 ml of carrier oils [can be wheatgerm,sweet almond, soya oil and many other] and give yourself a face massage followed by a toner and a face mask.
Note: if skin is very inflamed then don't massage just dab.

Basic Toner:
Essential Oils
25 drops [you can choose from up to 4 oils]
Base
100 ml distilled or flower water
1. Pour the water into a large, sterilized dark bottle. Add the essential oils and allow to stand for a month shaking often.
If this seems too much work you can use any other gentle toner

Basic Fruit or yoghurt Face Mask:
Essential oils:
1 drop
For base:
You can use 1 tablespoon ripe fruit or 1 teaspoon plain yoghurt
1. Mash the fruit and sieve into a small bowl. If using yoghurt spoon it into a bowl
2. Add the essential oil and mix well
3. Apply the mask to clean skin avoiding the eye area.
4. Wash after 10 minutes

P.S. I have this mask on as I write